How to Apply For a Security Business License in Victoria | 10 Things to Know
This article, ‘How to Apply For a Security Business License in Victoria’, is one that I hope will enlighten my readers, both individuals and organizations, that are planning to apply for a Security Business License in Victoria (Manpower) or to apply for a Security Business Registration in Victoria (Electronic Installers). I believe that these ten basic points will assist you on your journey to apply for your Security Master License with successful results!
I decided to share this information because I recently had an effective conversation with two clients who were looking to start their security business. Unfortunately, they had been given incorrect information regarding the requirements of starting a security business in Victoria and in their applications for their Master License in Victoria.
Unfortunately, the Licensing and Regulation Division (LRD-Victoria Police) website doesn’t provide enough information to dispel some of these half-truths that are rife within the security industry in Victoria.
So I hope you enjoy this article, feel free to email or call us if you have any questions.
Also, see other articles:
- Enterprise agreement for security business: Why you might need one
- Content writing for security business website
- Training manuals for security employee: Why they are important
Misinformation or Not?
You might be asking what misinformation is it that I am referring to? The answer is as follows:
- You need a Certificate III before you can obtain a Security Master License approval
- You need a Certificate IV before LRD can be approved for your Security Master License Application
- You must have 5-10 years or a certain amount of experience as a Security Officer in Victoria before you can be LRD approved for your Security Master License Application
All of the above points are not entirely true. Please read further and learn about the 10 vital things you need to do to start a security company in Victoria or to obtain your Security Master License in Victoria.
The 10 Basics for a Security Business License Application in Victoria
1. Register Your Company or Sole Trader: Register a business name, a company, or a sole trader on the ASIC website or Australia Business Register (ABR).
Once you have a business name, TFN for a business, ABN, and ACN, you have then completed the first step of setting up a security company in Victoria. Applying for a Security Business License in Victoria is the next step.
You can complete this registration yourself without using the services of an accountant by going to the following Government website:
Australia Business Register (ABN Registration)
Australia Securities and Investment Commission (Company Registration)
|Do you know that we can help you register your company and choose the right business name to better sell your security services?|
2. Business Plan: Create an excellent business plan that covers important topics such as:
- SWOT Analysis
- Management Structure
- Breakdown of Products and Services
- Executive Summary
- Employees License Validity Check
- And many others
It is essential that your security company business plan explains the objectives and goals of your security business; as well as information about the owner and their experience, and how you intend to manage your security employees in compliance with state and federal regulations.
This business plan has to be written professionally whilst inserting the right information so that your application doesn’t get suspended or cancelled. We have seen cases of LRD suspending certain Security Business License applications due to issues with their business plan.
If you don’t have the time or experience to write a business plan, then please visit our shop below and buy a ready-made security business plan that you only need to spend 20-30 minutes editing to add your business information and get 100% approval from LRD.
3. Standard Operating Procedure: Whether you are applying for a security business registration in Victoria or applying for a security and crowd control business license in Victoria, you will need to create a high-quality Standard Operating Procedure.
Ensure you read through the LRD requirements and that the Standard Operating Procedure attached to your application includes the topics relevant to your Security License application.
|We have had clients contact us saying that the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) they have made or provided to LRD was rejected and that they now want to purchase our SOP to provide to LRD for the continuation of their application and approval.
Our SOPs are designed to comply with licensing requirements as well as train your security employees with in-depth knowledge of site operational procedures. It takes only 20-30 minutes to edit our SOP and add your business information,. Then it is ready to use.
If writing a Standard Operating Procedure is an issue for you or your organisation; please feel free to visit our shop and buy from a range of Standard Operating Procedures: Unarmed Guard, Crowd Control, Electronic Installation Security, Bodyguard, and many more that have been tried and tested.
All of our SOPs for Security Business License and Security Business Registration, that our clients purchased, helped them gain approval from LRD. Also, we offer a money-back guarantee if LRD does not approve your application because of our SOP or Business Plan. We will update any information that LRD requires for free until you get approved, or we will give you your money back!
4. Public Liability Insurance: In Victoria, LRD will only approve your Security Master License Application when you have a Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance.
Ensure you get an inexpensive Public Liability Insurance quote from a specialist Security Insurance Broker. If not, the wrong broker might charge you an astronomical and unaffordable fee for security Public Liability Insurance.
|A client contacted us around July 2020 and told us that ‘he’s been trying to apply for a Security Master License in Victoria for over 3 years and he has been unable to’, due to lack of proper information and inability to fulfil the LRD requirements.
A few months later, he agreed to our help in his application for the Security Business License. This was after one of his friends, who was also one of the satisfied clients that recommended us to him. On 09/02/2021 he informed us that the LRD had finally approved his Security Business License in Victoria!
5. Membership or Security Industry Body: You will need to join/register your membership to an approved security industry organisation if you don’t have a Certificate IV in Security and Risk Management.
|Did you know that LRD can grant you a Security Master License and Security Business Registration without having to register with a Security Industry Body or Certificate IV in Security?
Although, you must fulfil the following requirements if you don’t have the above: Do a National Finger Print and Name Check and provide a resume that shows you have been in the private security industry (with license) for more than 5 years.
Check the LRD website in this LINK for approved security industry organizations to join.
6. Employer Responsibility: Ensure you create an employee responsibility note or declaration signed by the nominated person in the application. The employer’s responsibility must state your business responsibility to meet all obligations as an employee.
7. LRD ePortal: Yes, you will need to go on the LRD website and fill out the online application form. There are two sets of applications; an online and a hard copy (PIF) application.
Make sure you choose the right kind of application, whether it is for a Security Business License (unarmed, armed guard, crowd control, etc.) or for a Security Business Registration (electronic security installer or security adviser),
8. Business Viability Forms: Once you submit your online application, you will receive an email notification with some forms. Download these and take them to a registered accountant to complete the ‘Business Viability’ sections.
|Do you know that we can provide you with a registered accountant who has prior experience in completing the business viability forms?|
9. Personal Information Forms (PIF): This is a very important form that needs to be completed by the Nominated Person (Director or contact person) and the Officer of the Body Corporate (Co-Director or shareholders).
This PIF form should be printed out and completed by the Nominated Person or Officer of the Body Corporate (if it’s a business with multiple owners). This PIF form has two reference forms attached. You will need to find two referees to complete separate reference forms for each person that will be filling out the application.
To find and print the PIF forms, go to the Victoria Police Website/Licensing and Regulation Department via this link.
10. Newspaper Advertising: Once you have completed all of your application forms, mail them to the LRD Mailing Address “Licensing and Regulations Department GPO Box 2807 Melbourne VIC 3001.” Once that is done, you have seven days to make a legal-note advertisement on a Victoria state-wide newspaper, stating your intent to apply for a security license with the LRD. Once your add is published, buy a copy of the newspaper, cut out the section of the advertisement, and send it to LRD via post.
|Do you know if you purchase our New Security Business Packs we will provide you with free Employer Responsibility Documents and Newspaper Advertisement Templates?|
We suggest that you check the following links for a complete guide of how to start your security business or how to apply for a Security Master License or Registration:
- How to start a successful security business in Australia
- LRD requirements for a Security Master License/Registration Application
|Do you know Security Concepts Services offers affordable security business license and registration start-up/application services for clients, and have a 100% success rate for all clients who have applied for Security Master Licenses?
We provide all the compliance documents, guide you in all application processes, and complete most of the paperwork until your licensing application is submitted and approved by LRD.
Please send us an email for pricing and service rates: firstname.lastname@example.org
The goal of writing this article is to provide the ten (10) basic requirements and information you will need to get a security business license or a security business registration in Victoria. Also, to counter some misconceptions that have stopped others from starting their security business.
Disclaimer: Security Concepts Services is an ethical security services company. We encourage our clients or readers of our articles when starting your security business, please do the right thing by paying your employees the correct wages and entitlements.